Saturday, May 7, 2011

Copyright Issues Wk 1 Reading

Copyright is not something that I have ever really discussed with anyone. This doesn’t mean that I don’t feel that its important because I feel that everyone should receive credit for the work or time they put into something. During all my college classes plagiarism has always been the hot topic. Never, until I attended Full Sail, had I been advised to look for copyright protected works.
I can honestly say that I didn’t know much about the subject until over the past year and more so now after watching videos and reading articles. I am glad that works can be protected, but I am also amazed at the consequences. It is a little scary to me. Copyright laws actually make me want to only use things that I create myself.

2 comments:

  1. Ashlee,
    I agree with you in not knowing much about copyright law until this past week. I knew there were consequences, but it seemed they might apply to other people only. You made a great point about plagiarism being the hot topic in college! After reading this I thought, "Maybe college should be teaching our kids about copyright too."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashlee,
    I agree with you on so many things! First of all, my previous college experience never stressed the value of copyright either. Why is that? If it is so important and has such serious consequences, why hasn't this been stressed earlier? I also agree that it is very scary to use anything that is found out there online, I too feel like it would almost be a safer route to create everything myself. But we have to think realistically, we don't always have the time to create the media that we desire to use, or we might not have the resources. So it is very important to get familiar with copyright and try to use copyright materials now, while we have the guidance, because at some point we may need to use them. Also, I felt a little better once I became more familiar with the Creative Commons Copyright symbols. Those symbols will make it much easier and less scary for us because we can see instantly how we are allowed to use the resource.Try using the resources with the CCC symbols, and hopefully that can help boost your confidence in using someone else's work. Good luck, and don't be too afraid, we are there with you!

    ReplyDelete