Sunday, May 29, 2011

Week 4 Reading...The Art of Possibility


When reading chapter 9, I was inspired by the term enrollment. I immediately thought of my classroom and how different it would be if the kids in my classroom could understand this term. I think if I were a high-school teacher I would read this portion of the book to my students. I really liked the story about the boy with the ten-dollar bill and no air for his bike tire, as well. In the book the author said, “ The scene changed right before our eyes from bankruptcy to abundance…” I loved this quote and isn’t it great that with a few different words everything can change?  This reminds me of when I was in the third grade and one time I asked my teacher, “Can I go to the bathroom?” She looked at me and said, “I don’t know, can you?” From then on I learned that I needed to say “May I…” This is totally different from the meaning of the book, but it just goes to show that the way you say something or look at any given situation really does make a difference. If the boy didn’t change the way he asked for the quarters the three wouldn’t have reached abundance, and if I didn’t learn to say “May I…” I wouldn’t have gotten very far in third grade!

In chapter 10, I was excited about the advice for what to do when feeling at my wits end…I thought to myself, wow now I might have all the answers!! From this chapter I gathered something that my father has told me my entire life! My father is famous for saying “You’re responsible for you and nothing else!” The quote I emailed to him was, “Gracing yourself with responsibility for everything that happens in your life leaves your spirit who and leaves you free to choose again.”  I really appreciated being able to give this to him and I know he’ll appreciate it.

This book has been a great read. I love all the personal stories shared and all the memories that it brings back to me. It allows me to reflect upon and rethink my everyday decisions. This has been the best textbook I have ever read so far throughout my entire education.  Thanks for a great read!


No comments:

Post a Comment